Colorectal cancer is a malignant tumor in the intestine wall or intestine lumen. The disease develops gradually, over 1-2 years, spreading metastases throughout the body and its organs. Presently, it is possible to cure colon cancer through effective methods of treatment and modern diagnostic equipment.
It is possible to combat cancer of the rectum not only in the early stages but also in the latest severe stage of disease when metastases spread. It is worth to take into account, that the earlier detection of the disease increases the chances of a cure at least twice. Therefore, having symptoms similar to that caused by colorectal cancer, it is necessary immediately to contact a specialized medical center for advice, diagnosis and treatment. The sooner a patient to see a doctor, the more effective and successful treatment will be.
How to diagnose with colorectal cancer?
When bowel cancer is suspected, a proctologist, first of all, does examination by palpation method and takes a stool sample for revealing of occult blood. Then, after such a simple checkup the doctor chooses one of below methods for further diagnosis of disease:
- Method of sigmoidoscopy is performed by visual examination of the patient’s colon using a special device to examine the mucosa in the rectum. During the procedure it is possible to diagnose a variety of tumors in the rectum and make a biopsy of any part of the intestine. That method of examination helps to determine the state of the sigmoid colon surface from within by visual inspection. After procedure histological analysis of the material taken from the rectal area is carried out and the diagnosis is established.
- Ultrasound of rectal area is performed through the front wall of the abdomen. With this method, examination of the colon and rectum is carried out, with full bladder. Ultrasound is also carried out at intracavitary study of rectum using the method of endorectal sonography. Sometimes, a vaginal probe is used to diagnose.
- Computed tomography is a noninvasive diagnosis method which allows most accurately examining the internal organs, bones and blood vessels of the patient on a display.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is one of the best and most effective methods of diagnosis. It allows disclosing diseases of the body soft tissues even in earliest stage of development. MRI makes it possible to evaluate the structure of the organs with the maximum precision and to guess in advance colorectal cancer.
- Positron emission tomography (PET) is a modern diagnostic method that can be used to identify pre-cancer of the rectum. The method is based on the use of specific drugs changing functional processes in the body. The method is used for inspection of tissue metabolic activity, that helps to discover metastases appearing.
Also, detailed study of a medical history is carried out for the diagnosis, as well as clinical blood and urine tests, and examination of mutant genes and the polymerase chain reaction for the presence of colorectal tumor cells.
What methods are used for colorectal cancer treatment?
Colorectal cancer is treated by different methods and choosing one of them depends on the severity of disease and the pace of its development. Experience of highly qualified specialists who work with the latest equipment, as well as modern methods of cancer treatment allow our clinic being among the leading in this field. We use the following techniques for the treatment of colorectal cancer:
- Laparoscopic surgery is an operational technique, when intervention is performed through a small incision in the targeted area. Due to this penetration surgeon is able to see the affected area on the display and to remove them by means of special miniature tools. This method is minimally invasive, so the operation could be easily endured by the patient and does not cause adverse reactions.
- Hartmann's operation is open surgery intervention, which is carried out if the colon cancer is at an advanced stage. During this operation, the surgeon cuts through the abdominal wall and, then, detaches rectum from the sacrum, cuts ligaments and bandaging vessels supplying a removable part. After that the surgeon resects the colon, sutures the edges and places resected colon to small pelvis.
- Chemotherapy could be used both before surgery and thereafter. Before the surgery, сhemotherapy reduces the tumors, which are then easier to remove during surgery. After removal of the tumor formations chemotherapy prevents cancer metastasis spread throughout the body.
- Radiation therapy is a way to get rid of colon cancer, by which malignant cancer cells are destroyed and the tumor ceases. Furthermore, the use of this method of treatment prevents the risk of disease recurrence.
In our clinic, colorectal cancer is treated by various methods, and often they are combined with each other to achieve the most effective and long-lasting result. Comprehensive approach in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases allows clinic’s patients to have prompt and adequate treatment, which will result in significant improving of theirs life quality. All patients of our clinic, who were diagnosed with cancer of the rectum, now are able to live a full life without feeling pain and discomfort, chasing them before turning to our medical staff. We are always happy to help our customers and give them a chance for a healthy happy life without cancer.